In a recent episode of The Dr. Jason Show, I sat down with Ariana Pierce to discuss health advice for entrepreneurs. As entrepreneurs ourselves, she and I are well acquainted with the unique challenges this hardworking group faces.
Entrepreneurs are always busy. That can make it tough to find the time to prepare smart meals, exercise regularly, spend quality time with friends and family, and de-stress. And speaking of stress, the entrepreneur’s life is usually filled with it. There’s so much pressure, so much competing for your time and attention, and so many things that need tending to continuously.
But if they don’t take care of their health, entrepreneurs jeopardize everything. Stress, poor eating habits, and lack of physical activity put you at increased risk of developing all sorts of chronic diseases. They also depress your immune system, making you more susceptible to minor illnesses like colds and stomach bugs, and those easily interfere with the day-to-day aspects of running a business. And they also diminish your energy levels and your ability to focus, making it ever more difficult to tackle tasks and make the best decisions to achieve their goals.
So, here are some tips to help entrepreneurs feel and perform their best.
Self-Care Advice for Entrepreneurs
- Recognize the need for self-care. Sometimes this is the hardest part, but you have to admit to yourself that it’s important to figure out ways to make health-affirming decisions, and to prioritize them as necessary.
- Make a plan and write it down. Entrepreneurs are known for being goal-oriented and depending on organizations tools to get there. Apply that to your lifestyle and devise an actionable plan that you put down on paper (or a screen) for reminders and easy reference.
- Establish self-care routines. There’s no overstating how critical it is to build routines that support a healthy lifestyle. You probably rely on routines to help you get to all the small tasks in your day, and they’re just as useful for your health. Create a fitness routine, make a routine of having three daily healthy meals and healthy snacking in between, schedule in time to rest and de-stress, and so on.
- Find convenient ways to get more physical activity. Physical activity is more than strenuous exercise. It’s always good for your physical, mental, and emotional health to be moving as much as possible. Take a look at these tips for sneaking in more movement throughout the day, which can make it easier for busy entrepreneurs to up their activity levels, and with it their energy, ability to concentrate, and mood.
- Prepare healthy meals and snacks ahead of time. Set aside a little time to make your lunch and pre-portion smart snacks so you don’t have to worry about these things during the day. Having them ready and on hand when you’re in the midst of working makes it so much easier to make positive dietary decisions on a consistent basis.
- Ask your doctor about dietary supplements. It’s preferable to get all the nutrients you need directly from healthy whole foods, but sometimes people need extra nutritional support. Taking nutritional supplements like multivitamins, probiotics, omega-3 fatty acids, and others can help maintain your well-being, energy, and focus when you’re constantly on the go.
- Practice gratitude. Take time every day to be grateful for the good things in your life—your business, loved ones, health, successes, and others. It’s a simple but powerful tool to help you stay healthy. It keeps you in a positive state and mindful of the things that really matter. This enriches your body, mind, and spirit, which boosts your immune system and generally promotes continuing health and happiness.